Cats leave a lasting impression in our hearts…and sometimes a lingering smell in our carpets. There’s no doubt about it; cat urine is an odor that’s built to last. It can even outlast many commercial cleaners and countless hours of scrubbing. Not only is removing the urine smell from your carpets and furniture important for your nose, but it’s also essential to help prevent future accidents. If you want to get rid of that smell once and for all, using one of these enzyme cleaners for cat urine will be your best bet.
Safe to use around pets and children: no hazardous propellants, no residue left behind.
For use on carpets, floors, furniture, clothing, litter boxes, kennels, carriers, all pet living and sleeping areas.
Rocco & Roxie Stain and Odor Eliminator spray is an excellent option for small clean-ups. This powerful enzymatic cleaner is safe to use on multiple surfaces, including carpets, upholstery, concrete, hardwood, laminate, and tile floors. It even works on laundry. The potent enzymes in Rocco & Roxie Stain and Odor Eliminator go right to work naturally attacking and consuming odor and organic material from all types of accidents, not just cat urine. It also works well for vomit and feces clean-ups.
Rocco & Roxie Stain and Odor Eliminator is also safe to use around children and pets of all sizes. It is quick and simple to use and can be left on longer for deep, ground-in odors.
This cleaner from Rocco & Roxie is meant as a spot treatment rather than a whole room cleaner. One small spray bottle won’t go very far. Also, be sure to test this product on a small area of your carpet or upholstery first. This product may change the color of some fibers.
- Naturally cleans odors without chemicals
- Easy to use
- Use on a variety of surfaces
- May bleach some fabrics
- Spot-clean only
Commercial grade citrus pet odor remover.
A powerful & effective odor eliminator that even works on animal smells in barns and stables.
Using the all-natural cleaning power of orange oil, Angry Orange Pet Odor Eliminator can clean cat urine out of just about any surface. This cleaner is so powerful that it was initially meant for cleaning barns and other outdoor pet areas. This makes it a great choice for outdoor odors and cat urine stains on tile, carpet, litter boxes, and most types of furniture coverings.
Angry Orange also has a naturally pleasant scent. No overpowering odor masking smells or chemical odors like some cleaners. Angry Orange smells like what it is made from, oranges. It comes in either a concentrate to make one gallon of cleaner or a pre-mixed spray bottle version to suit whatever your needs are.
A big issue with Angry Orange Pet Odor Eliminator is that it shouldn’t be used around your cat. That means your kitty will need to stay away from the areas that you’re cleaning until it is dry. Cats tend not to like the smell of citrus and may choose to stay away on their own. Also, the orange scent may be too overwhelming for some people.
- All-natural cleaning power
- Can be used on a variety of surfaces
- Highly concentrated to make a lot of solution
- The orange scent may be too strong
- Cats should be kept away while using
Uses Pro-Bacteria and enzymes that break down, neutralize odors at the source, eliminate stains, and stop repeat marking by pets.
Designed to be used on carpets, upholstery, bedding, fabric and other water-safe surfaces throughout your home.
Simple Solution Cat Extreme Pet Stain and Odor Removal spray contains specific enzymes for removing cat odors from urine, vomit, and feces. Along with enzymes, Simple Solution uses Pro-Bacteria, a new and improved way of removing cat-specific odors. It is safe to use on carpets, fabric, and most other “water-safe” surfaces.
The cleaning solution in Simple Solution Cat Extreme Pet Stain and Odor Removal spray is tailor-made for cat messes, and the 3-in-1 nozzle is designed for ease of use no matter what type of mess it is.
The nozzle can create foam to cover most small cat accidents, stream for pinpoint accuracy in between objects and down into crevices, and mist to cover larger areas. Simple Solution has multiple other products, including Urine Destroyer and Extreme Carpet Shampoo, which can help clean up your cat’s accidents.
One drawback of this product is its heavy chemical smell, especially when wet. While it is considered safe to use around children and pets, you may choose to use it when you don’t need to be in the house, especially if you are sensitive to smells. Also, this may leave a thin film on tile, so you may have to scrub it to completely remove it from this type of surface.
- Very specific for cat messes
- Three times the cleaning power
- Adjustable spray for different types of messes
- It can have a heavy chemical smell
- May leave a film on tile
Freshens with a light orange scent.
Can be used on carpets, floors, furniture, clothing, and more.
Nature’s Miracle Set-in Stain Destroyer is made for those old odors that you can’t seem to get rid of. This powerful formula uses concentrated oxygen to drive deep down into fabrics and other surfaces to neutralize those lingering cat odors. It can be used where other cat odor cleaners have failed.
Nature’s Miracle Set-in Stain Destroyer also carries a light orange scent and can be used on various surfaces, including carpet, hardwood, vinyl, and many types of fabric. All you have to do is pour it on the stain, let it soak in, and then blot up the excess.
This enzyme cleaner for cat urine from Nature’s Miracle may require a large amount to get the best results. Because of this, it may not work as well on furniture or other surfaces that can’t handle a lot of moisture. You can put it in a spray bottle to apply a finer mist, but you might not get the same positive results. Even though Nature’s Miracle Set-in Stain Destroyer comes in a large bottle, you’re going to use a lot for really tough stains, so it might not be as cost-effective.
- Works for odors that have been there previously
- Can be used on a variety of surfaces
- Easy to use
- May require large amounts
- It might not work on furniture
Removes stains on carpet and upholstery and eliminates odors.
We all know that Arm & Hammer baking soda is effective on odors. This product is great for furniture and other areas to remove those tough cat urine stains. Combined with the baking soda odor neutralizer, this product also contains OxiClean to get deep into the stain and remove the odor issues that can linger.
Arm & Hammer Pet Stain and Odor Eliminator comes in a handy spray bottle for easy application on many surfaces, including upholstery, carpet, and hardwood or vinyl flooring. This product will foam up a bit when you scrub to help you know where you have applied it. It is safe to use around pets and children.
The foaminess can be helpful or hurtful, depending on where you apply it. While it does help you know where you sprayed it, it can also be challenging to remove and increase the dry time. Also, it may cause discoloration of certain fabrics, so doing a spot check beforehand is a good idea.
- Natural odor neutralization with baking soda
- Powerful stain and odor removal with OxiClean
- Works well on furniture
- May create hard to deal with foam
- May discolor certain types of fabrics
Best Enzyme Cleaner for Cat Urine Buying Guide
It’s true that not all cat urine cleaners are created equal. You’ve no doubt discovered this if you’ve tried to use a subpar product in the past. Here are some tips to follow to weed out the top enzymatic cleaners for cat urine.
- Know your Surface: Some cleaners will work better on different surfaces. Many places in your home may suffer a urinary accident by your cat. Anything from carpet to clothing to hardwood floors may get some abuse. Be sure to read the labels of all enzyme cleaners to know which one will work best for the surface you’re trying to clean. This is especially important because some cleaners may damage certain surfaces.
- Follow the Directions: Along with knowing what types of surfaces you’ll need to clean, you should also consider how to use the product. Some of us may be looking for a quick and easy spot treatment, while others need a large quantity to clean multiple rooms in the house. Enzyme cleaners for cat urine come in pre-mixed spray bottles or small, concentrated versions that can be mixed to make large quantities. Be sure to mix concentrated products accordingly and only apply to approved surfaces.
- Know the Ingredients: Active ingredients are key to how well a product will work. It needs to be effective against ammonia. First of all, find a product that is labeled safe for cats and other animals. Also, safety for people should be factored in. You may also want to go the organic or natural route and check to ensure you won’t need any special protective equipment to apply it.
It’s also important to know that the effectiveness of an enzymatic cleaner also reduces its ability to use on it on multiple types of accidents. This means that the highly effective cleaners may not handle both urine and feces. However, if you want a more versatile cleaner, you may lose some of that effectiveness.
How to Best Clean Cat Urine
Even with the best enzyme cleaners for cat urine on the market, following a few simple steps will help ensure that you won’t have any lingering odor issues.
- Speed is Key: For the best results, clean up cat urine as soon as possible, preferably while it’s still wet. First, blot the surface to remove as much urine as possible. The sooner you clean up an accident, the less time urine has to break down and get into surfaces to create a smell. Apply the enzyme cleaner as directed.
- Apply your Cleaner: In a perfect world, we would get to our cat’s urine accidents before they become a problem, but sometimes that’s just not possible. If you already have a smelly spot, it’s time to apply the cleaner. Now is not the time to be stingy; use a lot of cleanser. This is especially important for porous materials, like fabric or carpet, because cat urine tends to soak in and make a bigger mess where you can’t see it. Use plenty of cleaner to get to those tough-to-reach spots and give it some time to work. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions on allowing it to dry or cleaning it while it’s still wet.
- Use a Black Light: Cat urine glows under a black light. While this makes for a great party trick, it also comes in handy when cleaning spots that you can smell but not see. If you’re still getting an odor but can’t know where the accident occurred, shining a black light will shed some light on your smelly situation.
Cat urine odor can put some unpleasant pressure on you and your cat’s relationship. Using one of these best enzyme cleaners for cat urine will help thoroughly clean up those urine accidents so that there are no heavy odors…or feelings lingering between your and your feline friend.
Dr. Chyrle Bonk has been practicing veterinary medicine since 2010. She lives in Idaho with her husband and two sons, where they spend their free time exploring the great outdoors that is right in their backyard.