Some cats are picky. They only eat certain flavors, are particular about where you pet them, and only drink freshly poured water. If you know one of those cats, having one of these best cat water fountains will help you meet at least one of their particular demands and make sure they’re drinking enough water to stay healthy.
1. Best All-Around Fountain: Wonder Creature Cat Water Fountain
BPA free cat fountain is safe for your pets.
360° multi-directional streams aerate the water for added oxygen and freshness.
Disassemble for cleaning and maintenance takes only a few minutes.
This cat water fountain from Wonder Creature includes a BPA-free plastic base with a stainless steel drinking bowl to maintain cleanliness and decrease bacterial and other growth. It also includes a filtration system to help remove dirt, hair, and debris so that your cat can enjoy the cleanest water possible. On top of that, the pump features an automatic shut off so if the water level gets too low, it will shut off rather than continue to operate and burn out the motor.
Another feature of the Wonder Creature water fountain is an LED light that serves as both a nightlight and a water level indicator. The calming blue light switches to red when water levels need replenishing. If you have multiple cats, you may appreciate the 360-degree drinking access as well.
One downfall with this water fountain is that the pump doesn’t last long, especially if you don’t clean it regularly. The manufacturer’s recommendations state that the pump should be cleaned every two weeks to prolong the lifespan, so if you don’t have the time for this, another water fountain may work better for you.
- Automatic shut off
- Water level indicator light
- Includes extra filters, cleaning brushes, and mat
- The pump needs to be cleaned every two weeks
- Pump life may be short if not maintained properly
2. Quietest Fountain: PETKIT Cat Water Fountain
Circulation system helps provide maximum oxygenation for fresher, better tasting water and entice cats to drink more water.
Embedded Intelligent LED lights indicate water shortage and remind when you need to replace the filter.
Equipped with high performance purifying filter.
If noise is a concern for your cat’s water fountain, the PETKIT Cat Water Fountain may be your answer. This water fountain holds 2 liters of water and operates at whisper-quiet levels, making it ideal for skittish cats or those that don’t want to be bothered when they’re getting their beauty rest. It also features an automatic pump shut off to prevent the pump motor from burning out when water levels get too low. The LED lighted water gauge reminds you when to replenish the water.
This pump is powered by a USB cable but uses little energy. It is also made of hand-washable plastic and features a quadruple filtration system to remove all water impurities, dirt, and hair.
This cat water filter is made entirely of plastic, but it is not dishwasher safe and can be difficult to clean. The pump also requires frequent cleaning to ensure that it is working correctly to keep your cat’s water clean. It also seems to get louder with time; it starts off quiet, but the pump gets noisier with use.
- Large capacity
- Automatic pump shut off
- Quiet motor
- Motor seems to get louder with use
- Not easy to clean
3. Best Stainless Steel Option: WOPET Cat Water Fountain
Circulating filtration system uses a charcoal filter to purify the water, remove hair, dirt and food particles.
Easy to assemble and clean.
Large capacity at 2 liters.
Stainless steel is a very hygienic medium, especially for pet bowls. It is also hypoallergenic and antimicrobial, so you don’t have to worry about bacterial growth, unpleasant tastes or odors, and cleaning it is easy.
The WOPET Cat Water Fountain harnesses these benefits of stainless steel to make a water fountain that is safe and healthy for your kitty.
Not only is this water fountain made of stainless steel, but it also dissembles quickly for easy cleaning. It also contains a filter system to remove impurities and debris from water while it oxygenates it. It holds 2 liters of water, and the pump is very quiet.
However, this water fountain does not have a water level indicator, so you’ll need to careful to always keep water in it so that the pump doesn’t burn out. You’ll also need to be sure to clean the bowl and pump at least every two weeks and replace the filter every two to four weeks to ensure proper functionality.
- All stainless steel
- Easy to clean
- Good filtration system
- Can only get replacement filters from WOPET
- No water level indicator
- No automatic shutoff
4. Best Large Capacity Fountain: PetSafe Drinkwell ½, 1, or 2 Gallon Water Fountain
Adjustable water flow allows you to customize the stream your pet.
Top-rack dishwasher safe (excluding the pump) and specifically designed with no hard to reach places.
If you have multiple cats or other pets that will use the same water fountain, a large capacity unit like the PetSafe Drinkwell water fountain may be your best option. It comes in a ½ gallon, 1 gallon, or whopping 2-gallon size. Not only does it hold a lot of water, but it also has an adjustable water stream so that you can decide how much water flows through the fountain at any given time. You have to option to turn this feature off for a quieter operation.
This water fountain is also dishwasher safe, and the pump is easily cleaned. It also features a filtration system to remove impurities and debris from water for an even cleaner taste and smell, and comes with two replacement filters. It does not have a water level indicator, but you can see exactly how much water is in it with its open design.
One drawback with this unit can be the power of the pump. Some people complain that the pump has too little pressure or power to pump enough water, especially at higher flow rates. However, if this is a problem, these pumps are compatible with all Drinkwell systems, and replacement pumps are easy to come by.
- Large capacity for multiple pets
- Dishwasher safe
- Adjustable water flow
- Troubles with pump pressure
- Large drinking space can lead to spillage
5. Best Travel Fountain: Pets First Portable Pet Water Bottle
Newly designed filtered water bottle combined with a carbon filter keeps water fresh & filtered at all time.
BPA Free & created with a non-toxic, strong and durable plastic.
Holds up to 1.6 cups of water.
If your kitty is on the go with you, fresh water is essential. Since some cats prefer the taste of water that they’re used to rather than that of airports, gas stations, or rest stops, carrying a little taste of home may be the only way to keep them hydrated. The portable water bottle from Pets First makes this very convenient.
This water bottle holds just over 1 ½ cups of water yet is compact enough to fit in your purse or carry-on bag. The BPA-free plastic is also leak-proof and durable. This water bottle provides a drinking space for your cat, and the filtered water flows into the cup without mixing with slobbery water. It’s an excellent option for traveling with your furry friend.
While this travel water fountain claims to be leak-proof, some leaks have been known to occur, especially after washing it in the dishwasher. You should always inspect the seals and closures before stowing it in your bag.
- Compact for travel
- Provides fresh water during travel
- Large capacity
- Not dishwasher safe
- May leak, especially around seals
Best Cat Water Fountain Buying Guide
Whether you’re hearing about water fountains for cats for the first time or if you’ve been on a long and exhausting search for the perfect one, we’re here to help. There is no one-size-fits-all product, so let’s take a look at how to please your feline friend with the best cat water fountain for them.
Who Needs a Cat Water Fountain?
Cats need to drink plenty of water. Proper hydration is essential for kitties that suffer from urinary tract issues, kidney disease, or dental troubles. It’s also just important for overall health and activity. To makes things worse, some cats are very reluctant to drink. It may be because of their natural aversion to water or because they have picky taste buds that prefer a fresher taste. If this sounds like your cat, a water fountain may help increase their water consumption.
Many different things can alter the taste and odor of water. Some of those include impurities that come from the water itself. Chemicals like chlorine, fluoride, or excessive minerals can throw off the taste of water and make a demanding kitty wait for a better option to come along.
In addition to this, hair, dirt, or debris from your home can also make your cat’s water bowl more unpleasant. Water fountains for cats can help filter out those impurities and debris and oxygenate the water to give it a cleaner and fresher taste.
Water fountains may become especially important if you are traveling with your feline friend. Water tastes different depending on the source, and water from a hotel or your parent’s house may have a taste or smell that your cat will not like.
How to Choose the Best Cat Water Fountain
Now that you’re on the way to cleaner water for your cat, it’s time to think about what else you want from a water fountain. There are many options to help you customize your cat’s hydration.
Material: Cat water fountains can be made from plastic, ceramic, stainless steel, or a combination of these materials.
- Stainless steel: Stainless steel is naturally more hygienic, which means it’s easier to clean. It also tends to be heavier for cats that might try to tip the fountain over. On the downside, stainless steel is often more expensive.
- Plastic: A common material used for cat water fountains is plastic. It is relatively easy to clean but can harbor bacterial and other impurities. It is also lightweight, which is great for moving it around, which means your cat can do the same.
- Ceramic: Ceramic is fairly easy to clean and is hygienic. It is heavy so that your cat won’t be able to push these water fountains around. However, it is fragile compared to the other materials.
- Combination: Some water fountains may utilize the benefits from several different materials. For example, a stainless steel water bowl for cleanliness with a plastic base decreases the weight and cost.
- Noise: This will be running 24/7 in your home, and you’ll want something with a tolerable noise level. Different pumps are going to make different levels of noise. You should choose a quieter version if the water fountain will be in your main room or if your cat is on the skittish side. A louder pump may be OK if the water fountain is placed in a back room somewhere and your cat isn’t scared of a little noise.
- Capacity: The smaller the capacity of a cat water fountain, the more often you’ll have to fill it, but the less space it’ll take up. You’ll want to find one that will hold enough water for the whole day, so you don’t have to refill it in the middle of the night. For multi-cat or multi-pet households, bigger is better.
- Other features: You may decide you want a water level indicator, automatic pump shutoff, a nightlight, or a dishwasher safe water fountain. There are even fountains with cute designs or mats to decrease water droplets on your floor.
To choose the best cat water fountain, you’ll need to consider your cat’s needs, along with how much effort you want to put into maintaining it.
Getting your kitty a water fountain is a great way to ensure that they are drinking enough water to keep all systems healthy. Not only does it help to provide cleaner, fresher water for them to drink, it can also be entertaining enough to spark their drinking curiosity.
To choose the best water fountain for your cat and your space, you’ll need to look at how much maintenance and noise you’re willing to put up with, as well as how much water you need it to hold compared to how much space it will take up.
Dr. Chyrle Bonk has been practicing veterinary medicine since 2010. She lives in Idaho with her husband and two sons, where they spend their free time exploring the great outdoors that is right in their backyard.